Search This Blog

Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Sweet Ceremony for Scarlett!

Scarlett's mommy, Michele, contacted me in August to do a baby blessing ceremony for her in the Fall. We decided on November 22nd which turned out to be a bit chilly but no one seemed to mind, including Miss Scarlett who was so well behaved and attentive! She is 7 months old.

They decided to have the ceremony in my wedding garden which was perfect for the gathering of family and friends. When they arrived, Daniel, Scarlett's daddy, remarked that he knew some of my neighbors as he had been across the street doing some plumbing work just recently. Small world. Now I know a good plumber!

Sedona, Scarlett's older sister, age 5, sang an opening blessing. She was so cute. Then I began the ceremony with a sweet little poem that Michele found. She told me that Scarlet was her "fairy baby" and this is the poem by Sir James Barrie about fairies, entitled "On Fairies:"

When the first baby laughed for the first time,
The laugh broke into a thousand pieces

And they all went skipping about,

And that was the beginning of fairies.


I like fairies too and had just recently found a metal statue of a fairy for my garden and for the ceremony she graced the top of the table for the ceremony.  I passed roses around to the guests and asked them to tear off a petal, infuse it with their blessing for Scarlett, and place it in the crystal swan bowl of spring water.

Then I sprinkled Scarlett's head with that water to bless her.

Scarlett's cousin, Chrishawna, read a closing poem "From Many Winters; Poems and Poetry of the Pueblos" by Nancy Woods:

Hold on to what is good
Even if it is
A handful of earth.
Hold on to what you believe,
even if it is
a tree which stands by itself.
Hold on to what you must do
Even if it is
A long way from here.
Hold on to life even when
It is easier letting go.
Hold on to my hand even when
I have gone away from you.


Isn't she a doll? She has the prettiest gray-blue eyes that are huge!

Here is the happy family: Sedona, Dan, Michele and Scarlett. Many blessings to you all!

1 comment:

  1. This is truly an amazing and blessing ceremony. I also had a similar ceremony for my niece at one of local venues in NYC. It was a great day and best thing was that her parents were happy too. Everyone liked my arrangements.

    ReplyDelete